NAB is currently in full swing, with plenty of exciting new products announced. We’ll be posting updates here about all the new releases including pre NAB product announcements as well as new products announced during the show. We’ll be updating the blog as and when products are announced so check back for regular updates.
The CVP team in Vegas are also posting updates from the show over on our Instagram so keep your eyes peeled for a sneak peek of some of the new products on show. All of the latest products from NAB 2019 can be found on the CVP website.
If you didn’t get chance to go to NAB this year why not come and join us on the 24th April at CVP Newman Street where you can get hands on with all the latest technology. Creative Solutions and CVP present a number of hands on sessions and UK debut the latest technologies released at NAB from Teradek, SmallHD, RT and Wooden Camera. For more information and to sign up for one of the sessions head over to our events page.
ARRI kicked things off a week early with the announcement of the ALEXA Mini LF. The Mini LF brings the same sensor from the Alexa LF to a smaller form factor. The slightly larger body than the original Alexa Mini features three internal motorised FSND filters, 12 V power input, a range of power outputs, a new Codex Compact Drive system & a new MVF-2 HD Viewfinder.
- Immersive large-format look
- Lower noise with higher usable sensitivity
- Highest dynamic range of any production camera
- ARRI colour science for natural skin tones, easy color correction and clean VFX
- Perfect for High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Colour Gamut (WCG) displays
The XA40 is a ultra-compact, professional palm-sized 4K camcorder with a 20x optical zoom lens. It features a 1/2.3-type CMOS sensor along with DIGIC DV6 image processor. The combination of a 4K 1/2.3 – type CMOS sensor and DIGIC DV6 image processor delivers high quality 4K UHD images, and superior Full HD images thanks to Over Sampling HD processing. Recordings in MP4 UHD 150Mbps at 25P and Full HD 35Mbps/17Mbps at 50P/25P are supported.
- 4K UHD / 25P – MP4 up to 150Mbps
- 29.3 – 601mm – Wide-angle 4K zoom
- High quality Full HD – Uses the 4K UHD sensor to deliver superior Full HD images
- 5-Axis IS – Advanced optical and dynamic image stabilisation
- Infrared mode – Capture high-quality video in conditions with little to no ambient light
- 3.0-inch touch screen – Easy focus point and camera control
- Linear PCM – 2 x XLR terminals plus built-in mic
- Dual card slots – SD card simultaneous or relay recording
The only difference between the XA50 and XA55 is the addition of a 3G-SDI connection in the XA55. Both camcorders feature a 1.0-type CMOS sensor with Dual Pixel CMOS AF and a 15x optical zoom lens, offering a high quality 4K UHD image.
- 4K UHD / 25P XF-AVC up to 160Mbps / MP4 up to 150Mbps
- 1.0-type CMOS sensor
- 25.5 – 382.5mm Ultra-wide angle 4K zoom
- 5-Axis IS – Advanced optical and dynamic image stabilization
- Autofocus – Accurate and reliable, with face detection
- High quality – Full HD Uses the 4K UHD sensor to deliver superior Full HD images
- Professional codec – For the efficient recording of high-quality 4K and Full HD footage
- Infrared mode – Capture high-quality video in conditions with little to no ambient light
Canon have announced their latest Cine Prime offerings, the Sumire lenses. The range includes 7 prime lenses, a 14mm, 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 135mm designed to offer delicate and subtle rendering of a subject with fast apertures and precise manual control. The lens offers wide compatibility options for PL mount 35mm full frame and Super 35mm cameras. We have a first look review video over on our YouTube for the Sumire lenses.
- Specially designed ‘cinematic look’
- PL mount with Full-Frame coverage
- Unified warm colour tone
- Fast and bright with beautiful bokeh
- Fine focusing with filter and gear consistency
A couple of weeks prior to NAB Blackmagic announced the URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, a second generation URSA Mini Pro camera featuring fully redesigned electronics and a new Super 35mm 4.6K image sensor with 15 stops of dynamic range that combine to support high frame rate shooting at up to 300 frames per second. In addition, URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2 supports Blackmagic RAW and features a new USB-C expansion port for direct recording to external disks.
- Digital film camera with 15 stops of dynamic range
- Super 35mm 4.6K sensor with Blackmagic Design Generation 4 Colour Science
- Supports project frame rates up to 60 fps and off-speed slow motion recording up to 120 fps in4.6K, 150 fps in 4K DCI and 300 fps in HD Blackmagic RAW
- High quality 2, 4 and 6 stop neutral density (ND) filters with IR compensation designed to specifically match the colourimetry and colour science of Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2
- Built in dual C-Fast 2.0 recorders and dual SD/UHS-II card recorders allow unlimited duration recording in high quality
- LCD status display for quickly checking timecode, shutter and lens settings, battery, recording status, and audio levels
- Support for Blackmagic RAW files in Constant Bitrate 3:1, 5:1, 8:1 and 12:1 or Constant Quality Q0 and Q5 as well as ProRes 4444 XQ, ProRes 4444, ProRes 422 HQ, ProRes 422, ProRes 422 LT, ProRes 422 Proxy recording at 4.6K, 4K, Ultra HD and HD resolutions
- Supports recording of up to 300 frames per second in HD, 150 frames per second in 4K DCI, and 120 frames per second at full frame 4.6K
- 4 inch foldout touchscreen for on-set monitoring and menu settings
Litepanels announced the Gemini 1×1 taking the comprehensive features of the Gemini 2×1 and bringing them to a 1×1 form factor. The Gemini is a all-in-one ballast free cine quality light that is easy to transport, rig and adapts to all on-location shooting environments and demands – daylight, tungsten, RGB colours, gels and fully customisable cinema effects/modes. Take a look at our Litepanels Gemini 1×1 Soft overview video.
- Every colour at your fingertips.Total control of light with four lighting modes; CCT Mode for true daylight and Tungsten with fine tuning; HSI Mode to create any colour in the 360 colour wheel; Gel Mode to quickly dial up many popular gels, and Effects Mode for a dazzling array of creative lighting effects at your fingertips.
- The industry’s most agile light on the go. A Lightweight design for rapid rigging with fewer cables and full-intensity mobile power from XLR, V-Mount or Gold Mount batteries – drawing just 200W – makes Gemini 1×1 Soft is the perfect location light.
- No parts to assemble Gemini is ready to start work immediately. Ready to go straight out of the box with no assembly required. Easy to reach, on-board controls and remote-control options via DMX, Wireless-DMX or Bluetooth for easy integration into your existing lighting set up.
- Flicker Free Light with no colour shift. Flicker-free light at any frame rate or shutter angle and at any intensity level perfect for creating slow motion shots with ultra-smooth dimming from 100% to 0.1.
Fujinon announced the new Premista series with two zoom lenses, the Premista 28-100mm T2.9 and Premista 80-250mm T2.9-3.5. Designed for use on large format sensor cameras, both lenses cover a 46.3mm image circle. The Series combines large-diameter aspherical lens elements, processed to ultimate precision, with the newly-developed focusing / zooming system to achieve low distortion and colour aberration. The lenses have the ability to achieve an astonishing level of edge-to-edge resolution, regardless of the distance from the subject or zoom position, delivering footage of impressive sharpness and clarity.
- By combining newly developed focus and zoom systems, the lens produces clean and accurate images with minimum colour aberrations, regardless of zoom position
- Unwanted flare & ghosts are very well suppressed thanks to Fujifilm’s in-house optical calculation software allowing the large format sensors to capture their full dynamic range
- The lens barrel is highly durable while still being lightweight
- It achieves a pleasant bokeh effect with shallow depth-of-field thanks to a 13-blade iris and a constant T2.9 speed across the entire zoom range
- The Premista series is compatible with the “ZEISS eXtended Data” system based on the open /i® Technology standard. It enables the recording of lens metadata (focus, zoom, and iris position) and lens distortion and shading corrections
- The LEMO connection port can be replaced with a blanking plate when not being used
Atomos have announced the Shogun 7 a 7-inch HDR monitor, recorder and switcher, precision engineered for the film and video professional. The Shogun 7 features a ground breaking 1,500nit HDR screen with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, ProRes RAW recording and real time Dolby Vision output.
- Unbelievable HDR
- Live multi-cam has never been more portable
- Single-camera storytelling in 4K, or 2K slow-mo
- Advanced Atomos technology
- Blacker blacks, brighter whites
- Record RAW, deliver accurate Dolby Vision HDR
- Edit HDR in the field
- Balanced audioHigh speed connections
Rode announced the Wireless Go, an ultra-compact digital wireless microphone system. Its quick clip-on capabilities make it perfect for run-and-gun journalists and vloggers in the field. The transmitter acts as either a quick and easy clip-on microphone, thanks to a high quality built-in omnidirectional condenser capsule, or as a belt-pack transmitter for a lavalier microphone via the 3.5mm TRS input. The receiver sits snug on your camera’s shoe mount, or clips easily onto your camera strap or item of clothing.
- Series III 2.4GHz digital transmission
- All-in-one microphone or lav beltpack
- Up to 7 hours battery life from full charge
Panasonic announced the new LUMIX G90, featuring a 20.3MP Digital Live MOS sensor, the latest Venus Engine, 5-axis Dual I.S, OLED LVF, 3 inch OLED rear monitor and 4K and Full HD video recording with external recording available. The G90 can record unlimited 4K video (3840×2140) at 30p/25p (50Hz Area)/30p (60Hz) or 24p in addition to Full HD (1920×1080) at 60p/50p (50Hz Area), 60p (60Hz Area) with full-time AF. High Speed Video can also be utilised to record slow-motion video in Full HD at 120fps (1/4x), 90fps (1/3x) and 60fps (1/2x).
- 20.3MP MOS sensor with no LPF – for amazing stills picture quality like G9
- Unlimited video recording in 4K 30P and FHD 1080p
- V-log L preinstalled – for those wanting to work seriously with video (this is the most affordable camera to have V-log L)
- 5-axis Dual I.S. 2 (5 stops) – for sharp pictures and steady video when shooting handheld
- 0.07s AF speed
- 2,360k OLED LVF, 0.74x magnification
- High speed video up to 120fps (up to 4x slow motion)
- 4K photo functions – Auto marking & sequence composition
- Mic & headphone socket for video audio
- Free-angle OLED 3” touchscreen
- WB/ISO/Exp comp dedicated buttons
- L. Monochrome D & Grain effect mode
SmallHD have released the Cine 7, a 7 inch 1080p 1800nits display with 100% DCI-P3 colour gamut coverage, combining real time ARRI camera control with RED and Sony also coming soon. They are also doing a range of RX, TX, and Sidekick RX versions.
- Super lightweight, rugged chassis
- ARRI camera control (via Ethernet) * Support for additional manufacturers coming soon*
- Aircraft Grade Aluminium Body
- Locking Power Connector & Interchangeable Battery Brackets (Gold, V-Mount, Sony L)
- 7-inch 1920x1200p IPS LCD
- 1800 nits bright, 100% DCI-P3
Blackmagic have announced the release of the Pocket Battery Grip for the Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. The grip takes two Sony L-series batteries and increases the run time to last over two hours, it features a unique carbon fibre design and non-slip hand grips. You can also charge the batteries in the grip via the camera’s 12V DC connection in between takes.
- Extends your period of shooting time
- Non-slip hand grips for easy control
- Slide out tray for two L-Series batteries