Sporting the Super-35mm Exmor CMOS sensor from the amazing PMW-F3 digital cinematography camcorder in an ultra-compact chassis with integral 24Mb/s AVCHD recording, the bizarrely named Sony NEX-FS100E is set to give users a real alternative to Panasonic’s popular Micro Four Thirds equipped AG-AF101.
We had a hands-on preview of the FS100 in February but were not allowed to disclose anything – Until today…
Whilst the superb sensor is the main reason people will buy the FS100, here are the other notable features of the camera:
- We really like is the versatile 3.5inch high resolution LCD viewfinder panel which can be manipulated into almost any position and enhanced using the supplied extension eyepiece when using handheld, thus negating the need for a 3rd party EVF.
- The camera offers excellent light sensitivity with an ISO rating we’d estimate at 600-800 at 0dB gain. The lack of a beam splitting prism means that the camera delivers images free from internally generated chromatic abberations associated with 3-sensor camcorders.
- It can record full HD resolution at a class-leading 50p. 50p shooting is the future, as it combines the smoothness of 50i with the higher resolution and image quality of progressive scan. Higher resolution + Higher Frame Rates = (usually) Better.
- Variable frame rate recording (slow & quick motion) which can be easily accessed directly via button / thumbwheel on the left hand panel .
- Records onto eithe Memory Stick Pro Duo or SDHC / SDXC cards.
- The E18-200 lens’ optical image stabilisation is very impressive, allowing surprisingly steady handheld shots to be achieved even on the long end of the zoom.
- 4:2:2 output through a full size HDMI connector allows connectivity to external recorders / monitors etc… (there’s no HD-SDI output)
- Dual XLR audio inputs as standard (although they are mounted on different panels!)
- Manufacturers like Vocas and MTF are already working on PL mount adaptors so that operators can use high quality cine lenses such as Zeiss CP.2 compact primes on the FS100.
- Sony LA-EA1 adapter allows use of low cost, high performance Sony Alpha 35mm SLR lenses on the NEX-FS100E
- De-mountable handgrip, top handle and external microphone (all supplied).
- Uses standard NP-F type batteries
- NEX-FS100E – EU version supplied without lens
- NEX-FS100EK – EU version supplied with Sony E18-200mm zoom lens
Click here for more information, images, brochures, etc…